Pharos is offering our deep experience in disease control, health systems strengthening and resilience, pandemic preparedness, and policy development to assist governments, philanthropic and global health institutions to cope with the ongoing Covid-19 epidemic.
To date, Pharos’s intellectual leadership has contributed to the change in the CDC’s policy now calling for universal mask use in public settings where social-distancing is not possible and in areas of significant community-based transmission.
Pharos has also called for tighter enforcement of “stay at home” advisories and other Covid prevention measures in high risk settings such as grocery stores, taxis, and package delivery services.
Pharos is lending its voice and expertise to press for the prioritization of testing of high risk asymptomatic people in order to rapidly control surges in Covid-19 infections.
Pharos is currently providing advice and Covid-19 policy review services to the governments of Myanmar and Zimbabwe.
PHAROS STANDS READY TO ASSIST WITH:
- Development of Covid control strategies, mitigation of secondary and subsequent infection waves
- Rule-out testing and design of safer back-to-work strategies
- Creation of evidence-based Covid-control strategies for developing countries tailored to their local context and health system capabilities
- Design and assessment of strategies for safely reopening the economy
- Data and analytics to support guideline development and policy change
- Development of tools and programs to strengthen high risk and community-level testing, contact tracing, and isolation, and treatment
- Analysis of the costs and benefit-cost ratios of Covid prevention measures
SOME RECENT COVERAGE OF PHAROS AND COVID IN THE NEWS:
- NPR story on universal mask policy March 25, 2020: https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/2020/03/25/universal-mask-do-masks-work
- Politico story March 30, 2020: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/30/coronavirus-masks-trump-administration-156327
- KCBS radio interview April 1, 2020: https://kcbsradio.radio.com/media/audio-channel/should-we-be-wearing-masks-in-public
- KCRW radio interview April 1, 2020: https://kcbsradio.radio.com/media/audio-channel/should-we-be-wearing-masks-in-public
- Boston 25 News story April 3: https://www.boston25news.com/news/health/coronavirus-outbreak-should-you-wear-mask-public/KCSO5F2HPNDBPL4O3H37YO67MI/
- NY Times story on how not to wear a mask April 8, 2020: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/well/live/coronavirus-face-mask-mistakes.html
- Acuweather story on masks April 13: https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/americans-may-need-to-wear-masks-for-up-to-18-months-yale-expert-says/716922
- Vox Youtube video on masks April 22: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P27HRClMf2U
- NY Times story April 5: https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-N95-mask-DIY-face-mask-health.html
- Boston 25 News story April 30: https://www.boston25news.com/news/masks-could-be-new-norm-least-next-year/XT6ND5EMZBB4TFZ2NPTVTV7DFM/